|South Africa, the Hunting Destination in Africa.
South Africa has developed into the most popular hunting destination in Africa. The critical success factors being:
- The highly successful management by the conservation authorities in South Africa of National and Provincial Parks. With approximately 7 million hectares set aside and managed by the authorities, an enormous resource base of wild animals has been produced for distribution throughout the country.
- The above, together with the philosophy of sustainable use of our natural resources, has seen the development of some 9000 privately owned game farms covering 17 million hectares of land.
- The greatest variety of animals available for hunting in any one country in Africa.
- The high degree of professionalism set by the Professional Hunters’ Association of South Africa (PHASA) and sound regulations controlling the professional hunting industry.
- Hunting as a form of tourism contributes enormously to the economy of South Africa. Some 70,000 jobs have been created on game farms and directly from professional hunting.
- In the 2005 hunting season, 8000 clients, inclusive of non-hunters in each hunting group, hunted in South Africa, having a total of 58,341 hunting days. A total of 39,561 animals were hunted. This amounts to a total revenue from daily rates, animals hunted and taxidermy work of US$ 100 million (R650 million). (Convertion @ 6.53)